Wednesday, July 7, 2010

By far the best day in Firenze..




Yesterday was by far my absolute favorite day that I have spent here in Firenze. We had our italian final then art class then we planned to spend the day with Mama Lo at her center. Mama Lo and 4 other people started this center for children that have a handicap or disability. It is a place for them to learn, express themselves and most of all just enjoy life. Alex, Marie and I all piled into Mama Lo's car and headed to her center in the country side. The place is absolutely astounding. We first started our tour outside walking through the fields and gardens. There are totem poles all around but they are made but all of the kids at the center! There is this hut made from an old wine barrel that looks like a little play home, pretty much every little kids dream! There is a HUGE dragon created out of wood which all of the kids painted a piece of the wood to create it. She showed us a fountain they created that was surrounded by the beautiful purple artichoke flowers which looked like something out of Avatar. Who would've known that if you don't eat them they grow into something so beautiful. Their outdoor stage is magnificent, I definitely wish I could have seen some of the shows they put on there. Inside there are places for the kids to do crafts, dance and activities. Every piece of art (which there are tons) is created by the children that attend this center. It is absolutely amazing.

I have honestly never been so inspired in my life than I have been on this trip during conversations I have had with Mama Lo and after seeing that place. She is the most extraordinary woman I have ever met and someone I definitely needed in my life. I honestly feel like I was destined to meet her. She once was a model for Roberto Cavalli living in one of the most superficial worlds possible now she spends her time working with disabled children at her center and showing them the beauty of life whether it be through art or dance therapy. Living with her and being able to have these types of conversations with her has made me realize how much we take for granted in the United States and how much we need to stop and appreciate the things around us. Life here is so much more relaxed, people don't get worked up about the little things like they do at home. Mama Lo has inspired me to not fear the future. She also has made me realize that as corny as it sounds, anything is possible. The excuses of not having the money to start or do something you feel passionate about isn't a reason not to, there is always a way. She has also taught me that the people you surround yourself with and the company you keep really affect your life which is something I haven't always believed. All in all after seeing the center, talking to her and just feeling the energy there I have never been so inspired to pursue my goals and the things I want in my life.

When we came home Marie, Alex and I went to one of our favorite salad shops for late lunch. Afterwards, we came home and studied for our two finals which we have this morning. Then I went for what was probably my last run in Firenze and showered. As soon as I heard the country music playing in the kitchen I knew it was time to start cooking dinner. Mama Lo has let me watch/help her make dinner for a few weeks now and it is amazing. Since lastnight was our last dinner together she decided to make our favorite, pasta with pesto, salad and eggplant parmesan. We also decided to go down to our favorite Mini Mart man and pick up a couple bottles of wine for the meal. We usually eat inside but since it was the last night and it was cool enough we set up a candle lit dinner on the terrace. It was beautiful. What is usually about an hour long dinner lasted over two hours! It was so much fun! Mama Lo was telling us stories about groups she had in the past and we talked about some of our favorite times here. Though it was such a great time it was really sad realizing that our time here is up.

Today is our last day here. We have two finals then done! I have some last minute packing to do then plan on enjoying the rest of the day and celebrating with these amazing people I have met on this trip tonight. I can't believe it is almost over, time definitely goes way to fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment